Free Tax Help

Need free help with your tax return? Taxes are a yearly thing that you need to stay on top of.

The free Tax Help service will not be available in mid-2022. If you wish to make a free, confidential tax appointment - the UniSA Tax Clinics are available here

Please check your eligibility prior to booking as contractors, those using ABN’s, people in business and with other complex tax affairs (check full eligibility criteria) cannot be assisted through Tax Help. Limited spots will be available, so get in quick!

Regular appointments will be available at UniSA CBD campuses from late July through to the end of October.

Note: This service is free to all students, including international students. Any student who is studying a course of 6-month duration or more is considered a resident for tax purposes. Full info here

More Information 

Find more details on the Tax Help program at
If you're unable to make appointments at City East or West, please call 13 28 61 to find out the location of the closest tax help centre to you. 

Am I eligible for tax help? 

  • You are NOT eligible if you use an ABN, work as a contractor, for example a contract cleaner or taxi driver
  • You are NOT eligible if you run a business, including as a sole trader
  • You are NOT eligible if you have partnership or trust matters
  • You are NOT eligible if you sell shares or an investment property
  • You are NOT eligible if you own a rental property
  • You are NOT eligible if you have capital gains tax (CGT)
  • You are NOT eligible if you receive royalties
  • You are NOT eligible if you receive distributions from a trust, other than a managed fund
  • You are NOT eligible if you receive foreign income, other than a foreign pension or annuity.

If you do not fit the eligibility for the Tax Help program you may be able to get assistance through the Tax Clinics available here at UniSA.
You can contact the Australian Taxation Office Business Tax enquiries line if you want more information about contracting, using your ABN and business tax matters on 132866 

How to book:

Step 1:
Check you are eligible to access this service.

Step 2:
Make a booking when appointments are open.

Step 3: 
Save the date in your diary. 

Step 4:
Save the date in your diary.
Organise the following list to bring to your appointment:

  • your myGov user ID and password
  • your mobile phone to receive your myGov access code
  • your bank account details (BSB and account number)
  • your tax file number
  • an original or amended notice of assessment from any one of the last five years
  • income statements from all sources
  • all your receipts for gifts, donations and work-related expenses
  • details of any child support payments made
  • details of any losses on investments in shares and rental properties (net investment losses)
  • details of your spouse's (married or de-facto) taxable income or a reasonable estimate if you had a spouse at any time during the financial year.

The University of South Australia Student Association acknowledges the Kaurna, Boandik and Barngarla First Nations People as the traditional custodians of the unceded lands now home to the University of South Australia’s campuses in Adelaide, Mount Gambier and Whyalla. We respectfully acknowledge their Ancestors and Elders, past, present and emerging. We also acknowledge the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia. It was and always will be Aboriginal land.

Powered by MSL