The UniSABuddies program has been developed to welcome incoming exchange and study abroad students to Adelaide and UniSA, and ensure that they are engaging in local culture and have a great exchange experience. It also gives UniSA students a great opportunity to meet new people from all over the world, and to become familiar with exchange and studying abroad. The program has been designed by students so that the activities and events run by the Buddies are engaging, relevant, and above all, fun.
How do Buddies assist new students?
Buddies provide incoming exchange students with a friendly welcome to Adelaide and UniSA, and help them build a social network in those crucial first weeks of the exchange experience. Buddies provide opportunities for new exchange and study abroad students to socialise with current UniSA students, also exposing them to the unique aspects of Australian culture, and vice versa.
Why be a buddy
There are so many reasons to become a Buddy! As well as the professional and formal recognition you will receive, the personal benefits are nearly endless…!
- Build a global network of friends who are eager to learn more about you and about Australia
- Learn about different cultures and share intercultural experiences
- Assist with even organisation and attend excursions and activities around South Australia
- Meet other UniSA students who share similar interests and outlooks
- Receive comprehensive training & support from the coordinators throughout the program -
- Receive recognition for one program under the Leadership and Enterprise pillar of the UniSA+ program
- Practice and improve your leadership and communication skills
- Receive a recommendation to your LinkedIn profile
Learn more about studying abroad for a semester… maybe it will inspire you to apply for a student exchange opportunity.
What does it involve?
- Being a friendly, welcoming member of the community
- Attendance at an introductory training workshop (compulsory)
- Completion of the Consent Matters online training module, run via Student Engagement Unit (required by all mentor program participants)
- Commitment to keeping in contact with your exchange buddies
- Active participation in the UniSA Buddies Facebook group
- Assisting your exchange buddies to find the places, groups, services and entertainment they are looking for.
- Attendance at a minimum of four events during the semester
- Exchange student briefing session (during O-Week)
- ‘Welcome Mixer’ Party
- One event organized by the club
- End of semester farewell party
Who can apply?
Any current UniSA student who:
- Can demonstrate good communication skills and empathy
- Has a good knowledge of Adelaide, and has lived here for at least 1 year
- Is passionate about meeting people from around the world, and sharing Australian culture with them
- Has been, or would like to go, on exchange in the future
How do you apply?
Register your interest through the Google Form link at the tab links we have on the top right side of our page. We will be in touch before the end of the major semesters (Study Period 2 and Study Period 5)
In the meantime like our UniSA Buddies Facebook Page and follow us on Instagram. Contact email@example.com if you need more information.
Successful buddies will be notified by email in January or July for the Buddies program that semester, so make sure you check your student email! Buddies are required to attend training before Orientation week (O-week).